Friday, August 26, 2011

Crunch Time

This week has, yet again, been busy busy busy.  A number of different doctors, dentists and physical therapy appointments have turned my weekend into a work and lessonplan-a-thon (at least it better be, with all I have to do).  The big news this week can almost be looked at as a lack of news, or lack of improvement.  After three physical therapy appointments last week and two this week, Ada's arm is not getting any better.  Her surgeon, who we saw on Wednesday afternoon, said that all other movements are just what they would want to see and have full function, except for bending it.  She can at most do about 110 degrees.  In everyday life that is not that big of a deal, except that she is having to try to find a new way to put on, and take off, her shirts.  Where it might come into play is with some exercises or sports she may want to do.  I can't see her ever being a compentitive swim person now, though I'm not sure she would want to be.  Softball and gymnastics may also be out.  If she did want to do these sports then we would find a way around it but she probably wouldn't go pro.  The big impact is solidifying for another reason why I am glad we are going to homeschool.  I can just see a public school PE teacher yelling at her or tell her she is not trying hard enough, or ever punishing her (God forbid) for not being able to do pull-ups or push-ups with her left arm.  Even if we had a note in to the teacher or a signed doctor note I can see it, at sometime, being an issue and an embarrasment for her.  But, we will never have to worry about it and that makes me very, very happy.

Speaking of homeschooling, a question might be asked if I have done any of my planning for next week yet.  The answer would be.....not really.  That is on my large to-do list this weekend.  Along with 14 hours of grading work (including what needs to get done today), making and canning applesauce, cleaning the basement and house in general and trying to find the motivation to do all of the above.  Fnding the motivation won't honestly be hard or homeschool planning for next week (as I am only going to do a personal plan a week or so at a time, the overall outline for the year is done by our curriculum). I love planning, really I do, though that might make me odd.  It is a switch to plan for different kids (well, sort of plan differently, it is yet to be seen how much different Maddie and Ada will need the plans to be overall) and to plan at a PK and K level compared to high school.  All these different subjects as well, it will be interesting.  But, I am very excited for Monday, as are the kids. I even had John move some furniture around last night to get a comfy reading chair in the homeschool room.  Now, if only I could start getting up to work or work out when my alarm goes off I would be all set :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment